Monday, September 15, 2008

Pizzeria fun


This past week, I went on a field trip with my daughter's 2nd grade class.
They had been reading a book called "Little Nino's Pizzeria". It was a short story, but the teachers had spun a whole theme for it. They all made their own menu's, learned about how to run a business and then the culmination of actually going to a Pizzeria to make pizza.
The man that owns the pizza place has children at our school. It started when his child was in the 2nd grade, and he has continued to offer it to other 2nd graders through the years.
When they first arrived, he told them all about safety near the ovens and wearing hats over their hair so as not to get hair in their pizza! Then he pulled up small groups of 8-10 students, and explained everything in such detail....which cheese they use, the olive oil was from Italy, the sauce goes on after the cheese so as not to make the dough soggy...and so much more.
He also had a worker there to show them each step.From there, they went into the part in front of the ovens where they make the pizzas and they each, individually, made their own!
The chef had dough already rolled out and ready, and they got to put on the cheese and sauce, choose and add their toppings, and then help put it in the brick oven.The result was a delicious pizza!
It was informative and fun all in a few short hours! I loved the field trip as much as the kids!

5 comments:

Coffee Slut said...

Oh, what fun! I would have enjoyed that too!
Hope you had a nice Sunday!

Jodi said...

How cool is that? I would have loved to have had that kind of field trip as a kid. They only took us to museums. Blah! LOL!

That looked like fun!

Darci said...

Hey girl it has been awhile. I have my blog private if you want an invite email me at darcindave1@msn.com.....
Sounds like all is well with you. I am loving that you love football. Last year I was cheering for too mant teams and this year I have narrowed it down to the Denver Broncos, Myall timefavorite Eagles and the Cincy Bengals.

lizzy-loo said...

This is such a fun trip. B went on this trip and had such fun. We have a little dvd of the event which we love. Hope 2nd grade is treating you well.

rosecreekcottage-carol.blogspot.com said...

Ohhh....my kind of 2nd grade field trip!! I taught 2nd grade for years!!
The teacher sounds quite creative. We need teachers like that!