Thursday, January 21, 2010

Today's generation

I have read a lot of posts and talked recently with some friends about today's kids and their technology...
there are many different viewpoints on whether or not our kids are too "techie"

I was amazed when I sat down to watch my daughter and son play a Wii Mario game. They first invited me to "watch", and then when the curiosity got the best of me, I asked to try!
Wow, was I lost! They had to tell me how to begin, how to turn upside down, when to swallow a mushroom, how to jump, what to avoid, where to go....
basically, everything!

They both proceeded to tell me how they just "figure it out" once they start. I am not sure how they do that. If I were to sit there and just start running I am not even sure I would know how to jump, avoid, climb, crash, turn over, duck and any other plethora of actions that each of these games require.

I do not think our world today will be any lesser if this is what our children are into today. I loved the Atari and Galaga, Centipede and Donkey Kong...
there were the marvels of cell phones and smaller computers....
now they are even flying remote droids into war zones from stations in the US.

It is what it is...it's their generation. I do not think we should be so harsh on our kids today. I still take mine outside to play. We go to the beach and the pool. They loved playing in the snow.
They read books and make good grades. They play tennis and run around. They are happy kids...
They just love to play their video games...in whatever version it is today.
Somehow I think one of them may write a post, or whatever form of communication their generation has when they hit my age, about their kids and whether they are ok.....
you are following me online from different countries! Why should we criticize them so much!


5 comments:

Gabriela said...

I'm always 12th (out of 12th) when we play Mario Kart. Pretty sad.

It is amazing how quickly they pick up technical stuff.

Fabiola said...

This post is really well written.

And you are right. We cannot criticize them with all the technology....

After all we are all blog friends ; )
God bless the technology.

FancyHorse said...

Your children sound well-rounded. Today's kids have to learn a lot to keep up! I remember when my children (then young adults) were teaching me how to use a computer. :-)

BLOGitse said...

The criticism should target parents not children.
Parents make the rules in the house, they're role models to their children.

Unfortunately all parents are not like you.
There're lot of parents who are not interested what their kids are doing.

Have a great time with your family - it's weekend! :)

Brenda said...

I agree with you 100%!