Thursday, January 8, 2009

Paradise, part 1


The Maldives is an island nation consisting of a group of atolls south of India in the Indian Ocean. There are 26 atolls that make up 1,192 islets with 250 being inhabited. Oh so technical for such an absolutely amazingly beautiful, pristine area.

We arrived on a Monday after an extremely long travel that started on Saturday. The flight plan was Pittsburgh to NY's JFK to Dubai and then to the Maldives. We almost missed our flight between Pittsburgh and JFK. We literally ran through the NY airport, but you all read that earlier.
When we arrived the company that we booked through, Atoll Paradise,was waiting for us with this bottled water, a package with info and a smile! We had three bags total, two dive bags and our clothes bag. Unfortunately, the two dive bags were missing! AGH, why couldn't it have been the clothes bag! One they could locate, and we received it on Tuesday, but the other, at first, was lost! Luckily we received it on Wednesday afternoon. But bags or no bags, we could always rent the equipment and nothing could spoil this place. Anantara Resort is located in the South Male Atoll. It has two islands with bungalows on it. Ours had 50 over the water suites and the other one was a bit larger with various accommodations. I preferred the quietness and smaller island. We could eat a the restaurants on either island, but tended to stay more on our own.I loved the small details that this resort incorporated into their every day routine. This Christmas tree greeted us upon our arrival.They gave us this glass of lemonade, we filled out some guest cards and then were shown to our over the water bungalow!
I hate to drag this out, but it will be even more fun for all of you over these next few days! Stay tuned tomorrow for the bungalow!

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am SO excited to hear more!! It looks amazing!!

Fabiola said...

What wonderful picture!!!

Welcome back!!!!

Fabiola

PJ said...

I've been catching up! what a wonderful time. Paradise indeed. My mind is imagining this resort (I think I saw a picture of it or one like it with the bungalows over the water -- and Dubai is one of the most fantastic places...I've seen only pictures, alas) One day I would love to visit Dubai -- and the Maldavies too. But I have this thing about water and bridges, I'm not sure I could sleep over the water!! I'm waiting for the bungalow pictures!!

Scriber's Web said...

Welcome back BG! I missed you.

Thank you for sharing your vacation photos and stories. I am really enjoying it.

You should take at least a month to tell us all about your vacation. I can't wait to read more:)

larkswing said...

This is a fun tour!

Gutsy Living said...

I have always dreamed of going to the Maldives. I like less crowded areas and the beautiful turquoise water. I can't wait to hear more. lucky you.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, it's rough when you drag out paradise and I have to go there repeatedly. LOL. Drag it out as long as you want. I'm in the for the ride.

Anonymous said...

Living vicariously through you BG. I have been reading all about Dubai the past year or so. Someday, maybe someday I will get there. The place just sounds incredibly amazing.

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of this place. Can't WAIT to read more!