Saturday, February 11, 2012

Love

Love
With Valentine's Day approaching, I thought I'd write about the word.

First some quotes that I found regarding love:

  • Love is not to be purchased, and affection has no price-St. James
  • The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched-they must be felt with the heart-Helen Keller
  • True love begins when nothing else is looked for in return-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • You know you are in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams-Dr. Seuss
I found these on a site for love quotes, and they were some of my favorites.
What prompted me to write this post is with Valentine's Day approaching, I'd like to see a change in our vocabulary.

Love to me is of the heart, fulfilled in my whole being, felt by my whole self...from my head to my spirit, I love.
I love my family. I am so grateful for every one that has touched my life.

Where the change needs to happen, in my opinion, is in the casualness.
I love these potato chips, I love this car, I love this tv show....
it cheapens the word, makes it less valuable. You can prefer these chips over those, even really "like" their taste. but can you love a chip?
A chip, (or anything else inanimate), can not feel your affection. It doesn't return, or spurn, your feeling back to you.

So, let's take charge of our words, feel our heart and
LOVE, with our whole being, those things that make a difference in our life!

Happy Valentine's Day to my husband, who is the greatest gift that I have received.
We are blessed with two beautiful children whom we LOVE with all of our hearts and with whom we share our lives together.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inspired words, BG.

I am also blessed with a Valentine that I will love all my life!!!!

Surfer dude.

mythopolis said...

Sweet thoughts BG. I am not a particularly religious person, and yet I find so many pearls in various religious texts.

In the Holy Bible of the Christian faith I find this pearl:

“Love is always patient and kind; it is never jealous, love is never boastful or conceited; it is never rude or selfish; it does not take offense, and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people’s sins but delights in the truth; it is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes. Love does not come to an end.”

And to that I say, "Amen."

Stickup Artist said...

Sometimes my heart is so full of love, I actually cry! It happens to me a lot. It happened today when I was standing on a mountaintop watching the snow falling. Happy Valentine's Day!

BLOGitse said...

Interesting you're writing about the word 'love' - I've never understood how people love different things when correct word would be 'like'.
But language is made by people, it shows for example our values.
I've noticed to start using love when commenting English written blogs...it's like infectious disease :)
What kind of value word love has depends of the culture.
Here in Finland we like more than love.
We a zillion different ways to say like and love but you always know the difference.
A word love or to love is not splurged, it's a 'serious' word for deeper than 'like'.

BLOGitse said...

I forgot to ask: where in Spain you're heading?

Sonia Marsh/Gutsy Living said...

BG,
It's so good to hear from you. Sorry I have not visited you in so long. I responded to your comment on my blog and was looking for your e-mail address to ask you the following:
Would you like to submit a "My Gutsy Story" on my blog about the change you see in your kids?
Sorry to put it in the comment section, but that's the only place I could make sure I connected.