Friday, December 11, 2009

Holiday Cheer

Today, Gabriela and I, and 5 other of our friends got together for lunch.
We celebrate for various reasons...
going back to school lunch, too much school lunch,
Christmas lunch, getting back into school after a 5 week Christmas break lunch, too much school lunch, end of the year lunch...
you get the drift~

We all bring a dish. I like to try new dishes with these girls! Last time we had a Mexican food theme, so I tried fried ice cream. It was delicious!
This time I tried a recipe from a Hershey's chocolate cook book called Choco-Coconut Cake Roll.

This was my first time making a rolled cake in a jelly pan. I was nervous....
It cooked fine, and I flipped it onto it's towel. I peeled the aluminum foil off, and rolled it into it's towel, sprinkled with confectioner's sugar, as the recipe stated. So far so good....

Well, then I unrolled it to put in the filling, and it cracked! I am not sure why, but it cracked at various spots:

Maybe it was too moist, maybe the towel should have been a little damp...who knows! I salvaged it enough to roll the filling into it....hurry and cover it with foil again, put it in the fridge and take it to the party.
Then I was able to make it acceptable by putting on powdered sugar!
Voila! It tasted really good, even cracked!

3 comments:

mythopolis said...

Nice food adventure! In the worst case scenario, drizzle with rum, then add the confectioner's sugar!

Betty W said...

I have tried making these log rolls several times and they ALWAYS crack on me. So now, I will NEVER try to do it again! :) But I´m glad it was good!

larkswing said...

So good of you try it! I have no doubt it still tasted great - I have always been very intimidated by roll cakes and have stayed away from them! Good for you for giving it a go!