Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten years and still fresh

I would like to pay my respects to all of those lost on
September 11, 2001.
It has changed all of our lives, forever.

I was walking outside of our house in Texas, ready to take my son to his Mother's Day out program. Neighbors were huddled in the street, calling out to me to join them. I was a little late already, but I still went over to their group. They were all talking about something inconceivable..
I asked innocently, What are you talking about?

They explained to me what happened. I missed the live coverage, but of course, saw the replays. My husband was sent home from his tall tower in downtown...everyone afraid that it could happen in their city. Ours was a city rich from oil, and in their minds, a possible target.

What we all didn't realize, is that we would forever feel like a target. It lessons with time...and of course, I do not live in fear of being a target. But my life and how I look at my fellow passengers on a plane, is certainly changed.
Let me say, I do not judge people. I try not to stereotype. I am quite tolerant of different cultures and religions.
It just is a sad reality that we live in a world where we have a guard up...
even if there isn't anything we can do about it.

So, I cried through the reading of the names today, and I watched those that are still suffering.
I thank God that it didn't affect my friends or family directly, as much as it has so many others, yet it still affects every one of us...
in every nation, in every religion, in every walk of life.

War on humanity is what needs to be stopped, in my opinion. We need to respect others.
It seems so simple, but then power and superiority gets in the way.

May all those that perished rest in peace.
God Bless America
and every nation

2 comments:

mythopolis said...

I first heard the news on my truck radio while driving into Nashville. Of course, I freaked out in that we had just dropped our son of at NYU only blocks from the Trade Center two weeks earlier. His mother and I then watched the event unfold on tv. I got there just as the second tower was going down. We tried for several frantic hours to contact our son, but the system was so overloaded we couldn't get through. We finally got a call from him. He was safe, he had spent the previous night in midtown at a friend's apartment.

Today has been a day of reflecting about it all. How life as we know it can change so dramatically and so quickly.

Stickup Artist said...

So many of us spent yesterday reflecting, with great sadness and because we are human, with great hope for a better tomorrow. You are so right, it does seem so simple to solve our differences by respecting each other, and it is so confusing and dismaying that these differences evolve into hatreds that go on and on.

But we can be the change we want to see in the world and by that we do our little part...