Wednesday, March 25, 2009

the islands



As you sail away from Paraty you discover a magical group of islands...

mostly private, some rented where it seems like you could live unnoticed, no one bothering to check on you...complete solitude.  

There are islands where there seems to only be one house, and then others, that seem to have a few houses.

There was one that had a restaurant practically built into the rocks.  

The food was a yummy grill of seafood and fish, delicious potatoes, rice and beans (a staple here) 
and of course the sweet ciapiroskas.  This is a version of the drink that is called a caipirinha, only instead of the local liquor called cachaca it is made with vodka.  I prefer to have mine with strawberries but other versions include lime (the original), kiwi, pineapple and passion fruit.

The vegetation is amazing in Brasil in general.  You have lush forests and mountains covered in green ALL the way to where they meet the sea.

It is certainly a beautiful country and I feel quite lucky to have the chance to live in it!

12 comments:

mythopolis said...

These wonderful photos make me want to run away to Paraty! Right now!

BLOGitse said...

me too! to Paraty!
next time you go, call me i'll join you!

FancyHorse said...

Lovely pictures! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful country!

word verification game
comeo: a cameo with Perry Como's picture

Betty said...

Yes you do! I loved the pic´s! Thanks for sharing.

PJ said...

You're killing me~~~~

Brenda said...

I love hearing about the scenery and descriptions of the food and places you eat. Its fun

Unknown said...

Gosh, that's beautiful!
I wouldn't mind a long vacation on one of those islands, sigh :D

Beverlydru said...

You could write a trvel blog!! Love your photos.

marina said...

what a nice place to visit thanks for sharing the picutres, marina

Jodi said...

Those are beautiful pictures!!!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Can I pleeeze have your life?

Carla said...

so yeah . . . I'm homesick and then I come over and what comes after homesick?? Cause that is what came.

Paraty. I've been there. You can always dream there and keep your dreams going . . . no need to wake up at all.